Thursday, January 2, 2014

Welcome to today's Guest Designer, Nicola !

Today we are welcoming Nicola, otherwise known as Paper Profusion, as our Guest Designer. Nicola was chosen as the DT winner of the Christmas Preparations challenge back at the beginning of December. So, let's move on to hear from Nicola and see the fabulous project she's made for the current challenge, New Year Resolutions.


I’m Nicola a.k.a. ‘Paper Profusion’ living in Dublin, Ireland.  I’ve loved handicrafts for as long as I can remember, probably inspired by my Mum who excelled at every single crafting technique out there. From very young I was an avid knitter and always enjoyed learning crafts especially ones involving paper. I’m now medically retired however during my ‘career / good health years’ my main creative hobby was photography especially travel/wildlife related. During a time of serious illness, I became hooked on paper crafting as it gave me an outlet to a home based hobby that I could dabble in, at my own pace. I’m particularly drawn to the vintage / shabby chic genres usually adding lots of embellishments and ribbon. My favourite occasion to craft for is Christmas. Thank-you so much to the Frilly and Funkie Team for allowing me to feature as Guest Designer today.



I'm absolutely delighted to guest design for Frilly and Funkie for this challenge. My primary New Year resolution is to spend less time at the pc and smartphone and more time outdoors. Whilst the weather is not totally attractive to venture out into right now I wanted to create something that would entice me outdoors - I didn't need to look any further than Graphic 45's 'Secret Garden' papers.  I've decorated a Tim Holtz Idea-ology configurations box with aforementioned papers and included lots of diecuts and embellishments. Added a light dusting of Frantage to the papers for interest. I cut the front lock from 2 pieces of chipboard using Bigz 'Hardware Findings' die.


The box, Idea-ology box feet and lock have all been painted with gesso, then 2 coats of PaperArtsy 'Vintage Lace' paint and finally a top coat of PaperArtsy 'Metallic Glaze' to give a lovely pearlescent shimmer.


Also stencilled some Butterflies and Dragonflies around the box sides with white texture paste and sprinkled on Distress Glitter in 'Clear Rock Candy' - after all those Christmas makes I think I might have withdrawal symptoms if I didn't include some sparkle.

I'm sure you will agree that Nicola's project is absolutely gorgeous and what a fantastic New Year's Resolution ! The new challenge started yesterday so you have plenty of time to join in and with Nicola's further inspiration, I'm sure you'll be itching to get started !

Remember if you would like to join us for a Guest Designer spot all you have to do is join in !




13 comments:

  1. How amazing is this Nicola! I love the way you've lined each of the inner boxes and really brought the papers to life with clever embellishing. So incredibly pleased you could join us for this well deserved time in the spotlight. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a beautiful box - and such a great resolution - love it xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicola, your box is an absolute stunner, done with your usual flair and style, I love it! I hope you do manage to stick to your resolution, it is such a good one. Hugs, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Morning Nicola. Your beautiful box has completely taken my breath away. What a treasure to admire and keep your special things inside. Happy New Year to you and the family. Hugs Rita xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. An absolutely enchanting creation from the wonderful Nicola - just beautiful!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've created a stunning reminder of your resolution. Congrats on being the guest designer here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing project! Stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous! What a great choice for a GD!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nicola, your project is absolutely stunning! I love everything about it. So many amazing details to catch the eye! Thank you so much for sharing your lovely art.
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations Nicola on being our guest designer this week. Your box is absolutely fantastic. That paper is so beautiful and I love the way you have lined the boxes with it. Beautiful stenciled butterfly and dragonfly too! Thanks so much for sharing your New Year's resolution with us in the form of this delightful box.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, what a gorgeous box with incredible detail and those happy papers. It is so cold here right now that this just warmed my heart and made me long for spring and the garden to come alive.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh dear.... This box is just adorable. So chic, feminine and pretty.....cute !!! You are very talented !! Thank you for sharing !!!
    Hugs from SPAIN

    ReplyDelete