Saturday, October 27, 2012

Saturday StepXStep - Haunted

Terry here to bring you this week's Saturday "StepxStep" and I am still in the Halloween spirit as you can see!  I have been playing quite a bit with the new Metallic Stains and I just love them and especially with Rocky Candy Crackle!  OK, so here we go!

I first started with a GIANT black tag, did a score line at 2 inches from the bottom.  Cut the grunge paper 2 x 5 1/2 inches (what little hangs over will be trimmed at the end).  Both the tag edge and grunge paper are now ready to be cut using the "Graveyard" on the edge.  I will tape done my paper pieces to assure no movement and I also like to place a piece of waxed paper between the die and item I am cutting.  This assures easy lift off!!!

Next step is to apply the Rocky Candy Crackle to the grunge paper and I like to also add a few globs for a more ghostly effect.  Let dry and then begin the staining.  I used all three colors of the Metallic Stains for variation.  To keep colors separate, you can use a piece of paper and wedge it between the areas.  When all the tombstones are covered in color, I then stain the lower edge with Vintage Photo stain and will work that up into the tombstones to blend. 

Next I cut the trim and  randomly applied the Metallic Stains leaving some black areas to show through.   Once dried I applied two coats of clear embossing ink and powder.  The bottle was painted with Rock Candy Crackle and inked over with the Metallic Stains.  I added Black Soot Alcohol Ink to color the inside.  The bottle was covered with Clear Embossing Ink and Powder.  Stamped the label with Black Archival and clear embossed.  My grunge Umbrella Guy was colored with Distress Markers (Brushed Corduroy, Spiced Marmalade, Black, Antique Linen, Walnut Stain), the Cat was inked with Black Soot stain.

For the brick pathway, I ran a white craft ink pad over the grout areas (as I wanted this recessed) and embossed on black card stock, applied clear embossing powder and heat set.  The next step was to swipe the clear embossing ink pad over the raised brick areas and then I applied a mix of Vintage Photo and Fired Brick Distress Embossing powder, heat set and then rubbed off the excess. 

For the tag background, I did some clear embossing before and after doing the inky background.  This just depends on what you want to show through more.  I wanted the skulls to be very faint, so I clear embossed after inking.  For the inking background, I applied the three Metallic Stains to my craft sheet and applied to the background with a wet paint brush.  I sprayed some water over the tag and blended with the wet brush.  You can keep doing this to your liking!  My background came out a little more striped then I preferred, but did not actually notice that until I was all finished!!  Once that was all done and dried, I placed the tag between plain newsprint and removed with a heated iron (no steam). 

The final step was to put this all together.  Love those loose bones!!  Thank you so much for visiting us today and have a wonderful and hopefully crafty weekend!


Friday, October 26, 2012

Friday Focus: Seasonal Idea-ology

It's Friday, Friday, Friday, and that means it's Focus time! Anita Houston here, to show you a child's Halloween tag (I also used this for 12 Tags of 2012.) using this week's Friday Focus products! We are highlighting Tim Holtz's Seasonal Idea-ology as well as some Ranger seasonal products at The Funkie Junkie Boutique. If you purchase this week, you will receive 15% off the already low prices. It's a great time and opportunity to start stocking up on supplies for your holiday crafts, as well as some great gifts for your crafting friends!
To create the pumpkins, I stamped Tim's Seasonal Reflections Halloween Words Stamp in Ranger's Jet Black Archival onto the "back" of the Idea-ology Tissue Wrap. When you turn it over onto the correct side, you can read the words.
I then wrinkle mounted this onto manila paper that was stamped with a few of Tim's Halloween images.
After some Acrylic Paint Dabbers and Distress Ink, I die cut the pumpkins.
To create my background for a jumbo (#10) sized tag, I cut a portion of one of the Halloween pages from Tim's Seasonal Paper Stash. I misted it with Ink Refresher and then added some Black Gesso. This diluted the Gesso some and made for a wonderful night sky, while still seeing the whimsical images. You can do this with water as well, but I like the very smooth texture, and it adds durability to the tag which it great if it for a child.
You can still see the images well. 
The Gravestones On the Edge die cut, as well as the glittery spider, some Seasonal Chit Chat Words, and some ultra gorgeous and sturdy Tinsel  finished the tag off.